As promised in the October 18, 2021 newsletter, I just received this week by regular mail the 2022 card from Neon Bank .
As a reminder, here is what was announced by Neon in the newsletter:
From January and February 2022, you will receive your new card (free of charge), allowing you to:
- Receive push notifications for card payments (instead of current SMS) – we know some of you have been waiting for this for a while, it’s finally in your sights . 😊🙌
- Enjoy the new look of your neon free card and the fact that it will be made of recycled plastic. ♻️
- (By the way, the neon green card will also have a cool new look, made entirely of cherry wood! 🌳🍒)
Then, with the following versions of the app it will also be possible to:
- See your card number and details in the app – no more searching for your card when paying online. 🤓
- View and change your card PIN in the app – goodbye to postal letters when you forget your PIN! 👋
So I wanted to check if Neon keeps its promises.
The MasterCard Neon card is visually exactly like the old one. It is probably made of recycled plastic but nothing confirms it:
How to activate the new Neon Bank card?
The activation of the card is done in 3 clicks:
Profile => then Activate my card
2- Activate my card
The new card is displayed in gray, you must click again on “Activate my card”
3- Confirm activation
A popup window appears and you just have to confirm.
And that’s it. No need to go to the Bancomat to activate it or to wait for a PIN code by mail.
How to see the PIN code?
No more need for mail to find out the PIN code: it is visible directly in the app:
How to see card details and change PIN?
The app does not yet support displaying card details and changing the PIN. So we have to wait for the next update. Still a little patience.
Push notifications for payments and withdrawals
So I went to withdraw 20 CHF from UBS to test this new feature:
It’s now done: my first test is successfully completed and allows me to instantly receive a notification informing me of the details of the transaction.
Conclusion on this new Neon Bank card
Neon keeps its promises, both in terms of deadlines and features. This is another step in the right direction.
Admittedly, it is not yet possible to change the PIN code in the app, but Neon had announced it in its newsletter. So no nasty surprises.
This update brings Neon up in the comparison of the best Swiss online banks.